Cedar Roof Cleaning & Washing Options
A: Yes, that is a problem that should be taken care of. This is something that happens quite a bit when you have a cedar roof in and around trees and other vegetation. Over time the pine needles and other roof debris will get lodged in between the shingles or keyways and can result in poor drainage and rotting. It also provides a breeding ground for moss since the wood in the keyways cannot breathe because of the debris sitting on top of it.
Here are a few different ways to remove the debris in between the cedar shingles or shakes on your cedar roof:
- First off, I would try using a leaf blower and concentrate on each individual space in between each cedar shake or shingle, also known as a keyway. Results will depend on how tight the debris is packed in between the keyways-it may or may not work.
- If using the leaf blower doesn’t work, you may have to resort to taking a screwdriver or something similar and scrape out each individual keyway to remove the debris. This takes a lot of time as there are thousands of shakes on a typical cedar roof.
- There is one last option that can be utilized if the first two options are of no interest to you. A Cedar Roof Restoration or Cedar Roof Washing can dislodge the debris in between the shakes and shingles with ease. You will also end up with a roof that looks brand new and back to its original brand new cedar look as the power wash will remove all pine needles, dead leaves, moss, algae and dead wood fibres. This is a service that you will have to hire a contractor for as specialty safety equipment is required as cedar roofs are extremely dangerous when wet. Do not try this yourself-trust me!
I hope you have found this information helpful. I will continue to answer the questions I get on a regular basis so that you, the homeowner can keep better informed on how to maintain your roof. At Enviro-Green Roof Restoration we are always happy to assist any customer with their roof maintenance needs including:
- Roof Moss Removal & Treatment
- Roof Cleaning & Washing
- Cedar Roof Restoration
- Cedar Roof Repair & Gutter Cleaning
We serve Vancouver and the lower Mainland including West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Surrey, South Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, Delta, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Tsawwassen, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, Ladner, White Rock, Pitt Meadows, Langley, Coquitlam and Lions Bay.